The mission of the Old First Ward Community Association is to address the community’s needs including housing and human services, economic redevelopment and community building with a “vision for a new renaissance.”
The Community Center provides a wide array of programs and services designed to strengthen and support the neighborhood, and respond to the changing needs of the community. The Center is open Monday through Friday from 8am-9pm year round.
Fun family events are scheduled year round. Adult members make use of the weight room and aerobics classes. Financial literacy, homeownership and wellness programs help families build a solid foundation.
The Buffalo River Food Pantry offers food for families and individuals in a friendly, accessible setting. Open Monday-Thursday from 9am to 12 noon, the food pantry offers healthy food to people in need.
There are plenty of great ways to get involved at the Old First Ward. Our major events are:
- Shamrock Run – First Saturday in March – TAC-sanctioned 5K road race – 3,500 runners raise over $30,000 each year. Featuring local entertainment, beer tent and refreshments.
- Emerald Open Golf Tournament – June 140 golfers raise funds for youth programs. Followed by dinner and prizes at the Community Center
- Theme Table Dinner – October 250 attendees enjoy dinner at theme-decorated tables. Includes raffle and auction, entertainment.
- Chinese Auction – First Thursday in February 400 guests try their luck at over 200 auction prizes. Light refreshments served.
- Call 856-8613 for more information on these or other events.
Volunteers are welcome throughout our programs. Whether you want to tutor school age children, work with youth in the gym, assist seniors, or help with community development and housing assistance, we have an opportunity for you. For more information, call 856-8613 today.